The RI Hospitality Education Foundation (RIHEF) is hoting the 9th Annual Rhode Island ProStart® High School Culinary and Management Competition today (Thursday, February 27th) from 7 am to 3 pm at the Omni Providence Hotel.
At stake for the Rhode Island competition is a total of $1,000,000 in scholarship money for the winning teams, as well as the chance to represent Rhode Island in the national competition in Washington D.C.
ProStart® students from the following will compete: East Providence Career & Technical Center, Exeter Job Corps Academy, Newport Area Career & Technical Center, Providence Career & Technical Academy, Warwick Area Career & Technical Center, Westerly High School, and William M. Davies Career & Technical High School. Hospitality & Tourism Management students from: Chariho Area Career & Technical Center, and the Woonsocket Area Career & Technical Center.
There will be three areas of competition for students:
- Culinary Arts Competition: students will compete in a wide array of culinary challenges including: safe food transportation, knife skills, a cook-off by preparing a three-course meal (using only two burners), teamwork/cooperation, professionalism/appearance, plate presentation, and more.
- Foodservice Management: students will present a restaurant concept and design a business plan including design boards, floor plans, marketing plans, and menu design.
- Hospitality and Tourism Management: students will develop and present unique hotel concepts which include event planning elements, marketing and interior design.
More than 45 area professionals will be on hand to judge the competition. Representatives from RIHEF, ProStart®, and Industry recognized judges, including a full list of area judges including:
- Joanna Arrighie, Marriott Providence Downtown
- Peter Beausoleil, Ecolab Inc.
- Caroline Bhatia, Providence Marriott Downtown
- Anthony Boi, Castle Hill Inn
- James Buckley, Hemenway’s Restaurant of Newport Restaurant Group
- Greg Coccio, Avvio Ristorante of Newport Restaurant Group
- Vinny Costable, Gordon Food Service
- Floyd Crisp, Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar
- Terence Feury, Forty 1° North
- Peter Figueiredo, The Walt Disney Company
- Kevin Fleming, Hilton Providence
- Matthew Gennuso, Chez Pascal & The Wurst Kitchen
- Kristin Gennuso, Chez Pascal & The Wurst Kitchen
- Burnell Goldman, Omni Providence Hotel
- Laureen Grebien, Gregg’s Restaurants
- Kimberly Greene, Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel
- Karl Guggenmos, “Dean Emeritus,” Culinary Solutions International
- Karsten Hart, Newport Restaurant Group
- Mario Hilario, WJAR NBC10
- Charlie Holder, Midtown Oyster Bar
- Matt Koons, Castle Hill Inn
- Yulia Kuzmina, George’s of Galilee
- Jennifer Luxmoore, Sin
- Nicole Mattiello, Pranzi Catering & Events
- Mike McAlice, Gordon Food Service
- Ted McCall, Johnson & Wales University
- Bruce Newbury, 1540 WADK Newport
- Kim Paquette, Omni Providence Hotel
- Max Peterson, Hemenway’s Restaurant of Newport Restaurant Group
- Thomas Riel, Providence Warwick Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Almanzo Ritfield, Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar
- Lou Rossi, Castle hill Inn
- Michael Sabitoni, Johnson & Wales University
- Tobey Sanborn, Newport Restaurant Group
- Steven Simas, Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel
- David Smiley, Gurney’s Newport Resort & Marina
- Willis Stepp, Gordon Food Service
- Christopher Tarro, Siena
- Corinne Tesson, Pranzi Catering & Events
- Joseph Tortolano, Omni Providence Hotel
- Carolina Villela, Providence Marriott Downtown
- Michael Vuolo, Ecolab Inc.
- Shamique Walker, Rhode Island Department of Health
- Renee Wetterland, Omni Providence Hotel
- Angela Zguro, Gordon Food Service
For more info on the event, click here.